Monday, June 7, 2010

"I am the greatest"

little boy in his baseball hat
stands on the field with his baseball bat
player of them all
puts his bat on his shoulder
and tosses up his ball

and the ball goes up and the ball goes down
swings his bat all the way around
the world so still you can hear the sound
and the baseball falls... to the ground
now the little boy doesn't say a word
picks up the ball he is undetered
says I am the greatest there has ever been
and he grits his teeth and he tries it again


the ball goes up and the ball goes down
swings his bat all the way around
the world so still you can hear the sound
the baseball falls to the ground
he makes no excuses
he shows no fear
he just closes his eyes and listens to the cheer

little boy adjusts his hat
picks up the ball
stares at his bat
says I am the greatest the game is on the line
and he gives his all one last time

and the ball goes up like the moon so bright
swings the bat with all his might
the world is still as still can be
and the baseball falls
and thats strike three
now its supper time and his mama calls
little boy starts home with his bat and ball

says I am the greatest and that is a fact
but even I didn't know
I could pitch like that!
says I am the greatest that is understood
but even I didn't know
I could pitch that good.


2 comments:

Ty and Ber said...

I've read that poem before. I loved reading it with the pictures of Boen though. So cute!

Sammy said...

so cute!!! oh that was darling, where did you find that? so cute, i love these pictures.